Improve Core Pediatric Skills
Realistically representing a six-year old child, Nursing Kid is designed for skill and scenario-based training of the care and management of a variety of pediatric patients. This child is ideal for clinical training of common and uncommon in-hospital pediatric patients including wound assessment and care, first aid, and child abuse training.
Educationally Effective Training
Nursing Kid provides training targeting key skills specific to pediatric care providers. Nursing Kid is designed to meet the training requirements for pediatric patient care and helps facilitate delivery of consistent simulations into nursing curriculums.
Nursing Kid Features:
Articulating IV arm allows for practice of IV cannulation, medication administration and site care and maintenance. Venipuncture possible in the antecubital fossa and dorsum of the hand. Accessible veins include median, basilic and cephalic.
Interchangeable male and female genitalia allow for complete urinary catheterization. Enema procedures may also be performed.
Head with anatomical landmarks, trachea, and esophagus along with simulated lungs and stomach allow the practice of many procedures, including NG, OG, tracheal care and suctioning, and insertion, securing and care of endotracheal tubes.
Optional Pediatric Trauma Modules add realism to the training scenario.
Easy Operation with the SimPad PLUS System
Nursing Kid can be operated via the SimPad PLUS System making scenario based training easier than ever before.
The SimPad PLUS System provides an easy and efficient way to run simulations:
- Minimal simulation setup time
- Scenarios and Themes reduce instructor workload
- Easy manipulation of patient vital signs and other physiological parameters
- Intuitive touch screen for easy 'pick up and play' experience
- Mobile - teach anywhere
- Optimal data capture for quality debriefing
Nursing Kid is a full-body, lifelike manikin realistically representing a six-year old child designedfor skill and scenario-based training of a complete range of pediatriccare procedures. Nursing Kid with SimPad sounds technology allows for auscultation and recognition of normal and abnormal heart, breath and bowel sounds.
Head with anatomical landmarks, trachea, and esophagus, along with simulated lungs and stomach, allow the practice of many procedures.
- Eye, ear, nose and mouth care including
- Simulated medication application / instillation
- Simulated irrigation of the eye and ear
- Nasal packing
- Oral hygiene
- Anatomical patent airway for
- Insertion, securing, and care of endotracheal tubes
- Insertion and suctioning of oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal airways
- Various oxygen delivery procedures
- Tracheostomy opening with removable plug for care and suctioning
- Lungs can be filled with fluid for realistic suctioning
- NG tube insertion, care, medication administration, and removal
- Stomach reservoir will hold fluid for practice of gastric lavage and gavage
- Manually generated carotid pulse
- Injection sites include deltoid, bilateral thigh and dorsogluteal
- Full range of motion for realistic patient handling
- Pediatric transfer techniques possible
- Dressing and bandaging techniques possible
Interchangeable Male and Female Genitalia
- Can be attached to urinary and colon reservoirs via connector valves
- Urinary valves give the natural resistance felt when catheterizing
- Complete urinary catheterization
- Will retain indwelling or straight catheter
- Anal valves simulate the internal anal sphincter
- Enema procedures may be performed using fluid for realistic return
- Perineal care
Articulating IV Training Arm
- Allows peripheral intravenous therapy and site care
- Venipuncture is possible in the antecubical fossa and dorsum of the hand
- Accessible veins include median, basilic and cephalic
- Replaceable skin and infusible vein system
SimPad PLUS Capabilities
A SimPad PLUS System is required for operation of the NursingKid SimPad Capable. The SimPad PLUS System is sold separately. See the SimPad PLUS System page for more information.
- Heart sounds synchronized with programmable ECG
- Auscultated lung sounds synchronized with breathing rate, 0 - 60 BPM
- Individual lung or bilateral sound selection
- Normal or abnormal bowel sounds
- Vocal sounds – computer-generated sounds, recorded vocal sounds and real-time voice input (via headset, sold separately)
Synchronized with programmable ECG
- Aortic Stenosis
- Austin Flint Murmur
- Systolic Murmur
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Stills Murmur
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)
- Normal Heart Sounds
Synchronized with breathing rate, 0 – 60 bpm
Individual lung or bilateral sound selection
- Coarse Crackles
- Fine Crackles
- Normal Breath Sounds
Normal and abnormal bowel sounds
- Hyperactive Bowel
- Hypoactive Bowel
- No Sound
- Normal Bowel
Computer-generated sounds, recorded vocal sounds and real-time voice input (via headset, sold separately)
- SOB Breathing
- User can set blood pressure level and make it gradually change over time
- User can set temperature level (in Celsius or Fahrenheit)and make it change gradually over time
- User can set the SpO2 level and make it change gradually over time
- Blood pressure, temperature and SpO2will be displayed on the SimPad (handheld) and optional Patient Monitor
Scenario / Logging Functions
- Utilize SimDesigner, a PC software tool, for creating Automatic Mode Scenarios with States, Interventions, Trends and Handlers
- Utlilze Theme Editor, a PC software tool, for developing Manual Mode Themes with States and Interventions
- Upload Scenarios from Laerdal Scenario cloud.
- Download log files to a PC (using SimViewer software) to view/print/save or import to SimView and SimManager
- All interventions, vital signs and notes are time stamped and will be captured in the SimPad data log
- The SimPad log files can be viewed on the SimPaddevice or on a PC for post-simulation reflection and debriefing
Nursing Kid SimPad PLUS Capable Includes:
Pediatric Full-body Male Manikin
Multi-Venous IV Training Arm
Assembly Tool Kit
Nursing Kid is available in Light, Tan, and Brown skin tones.
Pediatric Trauma Module Set
- Various wounds can be added to manikin for realism in wound assessment and patient care scenarios.
- Trauma Module Set also available in brown and tan skin tones
Pediatric IO Leg
-Lifelike lower leg (right) with simulated tibia for practicing medical and fluid administration through intraosseous infusion.
-Pediatric IO Leg also available in brown and tan skin tones